Happy Coloring Book Day! I was so excited when I read August 2nd was National Coloring Book Day. I knew I wanted to make my very own stamped Unicorn coloring book. I’ve been caught up in the adult coloring book wave of goodness and making one of my own has been on my mind for a while. What could be more fun than coloring pages you designed yourself?! Once you get into a good stamping and inking rhythm, it turns out to be an easy project.
Design a set of covers using chipboard and cardstock. Flick a bit of irRESISTible Texture Medium on a piece of cardstock. Mist with 2 or more coordinating colors of Fireworks Spray and mix the two mediums and let dry. Secure newly inked cardstock to the chipboard and cover the adhesive with a clean cut of cardstock.
Stamp the inside pages with a variety of unicorn stamps with using VersaFine Onyx Black. This is a perfect ink for watercoloring or water-based markers. For the lovely unicorns, I used all sorts of stamp sets and styles from different stamp companies such as Hero Arts and Lawn Fawn. Use a die-cut mask to apply color using Memento and VersaMagic inks to the edge of each coloring book page.
Depending on what craft supplies you have handy, bind the pages together in a book form. Since this is not a bookbinding lesson, I encourage you to find a supplementary lesson on simple book binding. Here‘s one binding idea from Neva Cole. I happen to have the Zutter equipment so it is what I used. Once you bind all the pages together you are ready to start coloring! Enjoy!
- Memento Inkpad – Lady Bug, Tangelo, Dandelion, Ivy Cottage, Teal Zeal, Bahama Blue, Lilac Posies, Grape Jelly, Danube Blue
- VersaFine Inkpad – Onyx Black
- VersaMagic Inkpad – Pixie Dust, Pink Petunia, Pink Grapefruit, Mango, Key Lime, Oasis Green, Sea Breeze, Ocean Depth, Spring Pansy, Pretty Petunia
- Fireworks! Shimmery Craft Spray – Danube Blue, Lilac Posies
- irRESISTible Texture Spray – Danube Blue
- Sponge Dauber
- Avery Elle – Be a Unicorn stamp set
- CC Designs – Unicorn Dreams stamp set
- Lawn Fawn – Winter Unicorn
- Hero Arts – Unicorn DC208; Unicorn F6231
- Joy Claire – Doodle Flowers
- Just For Fun Rubber Stamps – Cupcake, Water Globe
- Pinkfresh Studio – Unicorn Dreams
- Technique Tuesday – Say It Happy
- Unity – Butterfly
- Spellbinders – Label Die
- Zutter – Binder, Owire (or any book binding kit available)
- Masking Paper